Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Site Work - Utilities

We needed to bring all utilities into the lot.  This required us to run 550' of conduit.  
A 3" (schedule 40) pipe for electrical, 
and 12" apart from that we laid,
A 1.5" (schedule  40) pipe for internet.

The electrical pipe couldn't have more than 3 - 90 degree sweeps, so we had to be careful how we ran the pipe.  It also required a 36" cover of fill from the pipe to grade level.

As luck would have it, when we started digging the trench, the nearby farmers began flood irrigating.  The trench quickly filled with water, and we were left with floating pipe...

The first solution was for me to STAND IN THE DITCH, and put my body weight on the pipe to hold it down.  

Why is it Scott's always on the tractor and I'm the one in the ditch?

I was down stream from where Scott would back fill, I wasn't in danger of being buried alive, but it was very unpleasant.  After a few hours, I started seeing dead mice floating near me.  That was it.  No more for me.  I went above and beyond my duty as a wife and mother and woman helper.  I like to think of myself as being as tough as a pioneer, but nope.  Not going to stand in the ditch with floating dead rigor mortis mice bumping into my legs.  That's where I draw the line.

So, we bought a water pump and pumped all that water out of the ditch.  Problem solved.
Best $275 spent thus far.
We opted for this pump from amazon and it is awesome.  
Came with great quality hoses as well.



Gibson and I holding down some pipe (the day before we saw any floating mice)

No comments:

Post a Comment